Sunday 21 September 2014

The hothouse

‘Mr and Mrs Roper, do please sit down. I’m Mr Hardy, Mike, Joachim’s English’s teacher. It’s lovely to finally meet you. Would you like some tea?
Now then, as I said on the phone, Joachim is delightful to teach, quiet, very polite and attentive in class. But there are aspects of his behaviour that we do need to discuss. No, no, Mr Roper he’s doing just fine academically, he’s passed all the key stage tests quite satisfactorily. Yes, it’s wonderful that you’re so supportive, having parents willing you to succeed is such a bonus. My concern is more about his engagement in the non-academic areas of school life. He doesn’t appear to want to join in with the other pupils, he keeps himself very much to himself, preferring to stay indoors and study rather than going outside at break-time.
Of course, Mrs Roper, that’s very true, to get anywhere in life you do need to study hard and not get distracted from your ambition. That’s why I’m here after all. But it is surely important to have interests outside school work, isn’t it? Piano? Really? Well that’s wonderful. And Mandarin too? Goodness. Yes it would appear he has plenty to occupy him outside school. However that’s not really what I’m saying. Well, what I’m trying to say and yes, you’re quite right Mr Roper, I do need to make my point more clearly and succinctly. Yes, of course, we are all busy people aren’t we? I am concerned that Joachim is not getting the chance to have fun, to enjoy life before the responsibilities that come with being an adult fall upon his shoulders.
I appreciate Mrs Roper that getting him into Oxford or Cambridge is your first priority and that you don’t want him to be distracted from that laudable aim. But surely, and you must understand I mean no disrespect and I do realise of course that it is for you to determine the future of your son and not me and that the fees you pay for him to get the best education are considerable, but surely there will be plenty of time for books and study and libraries and crammer lessons when he’s older. Surely now is the time for him to be able to play. 
He is, after all, Mr and Mrs Roper, only seven.’

2 comments: