Monday 9 March 2015

Songs in the Key of Ella

I love it when my big brother, Eric, sings to me.  He must love it too, because he does it lots.  Sometimes I join in and sing with him.  Then he says, ‘don’t interstruddle me!’, which I think means he prefers me to listen.  Here’s the one he did the other day:

          Georgie Porgy went to Gloucester
          In a shower of rain.
          He stepped in a puddle
          Right up to his middle
          And frightened Miss Muffet away.

I don’t know about you, but I reckon he’s been sellotaping those words together like he does with his bits of paper. 

*

Mum sings to me too.  She likes to do it while she’s rocking me:

          Lu-la, lu lu-la,
          Lu-la, lullaby.
          Lu-la, lu lu-la
          Lu-la,  ...      (no matter how hard I try, I can never catch the ending.)


*

Dad’s songs are a bit more upbeat.  His favourite goes something like this:

          Hello Ella Ella
          Hello Ella Manuela Ella

Neither of us knows who Manuela is, but hey, it rhymes.  This one goes faster and faster until one of us smiles.  If Liverpool has just won, he makes me smile.  If Liverpool has just lost, I make him smile.

*

Here’s a little song I wrote about my brother’s baking skills.  You’ll probably know the tune.  It works quite well if you march along to it too:


          The Grand Old Duke of York     My Brother Made a Cake

          My brother made a cake
          With playdough he had found.
          He squished it into a pancake shape
          Then he lay it on the ground.
          And when he was done he declared,
          “A cake for your wedding, come, see!”
          And there, as my ‘groom’, on the top of the cake,
          Stood an Obi-Wan figurine.

2 comments:

  1. So sweetly sung and written from the heart. Thank you.

    '...there's sumptin 'bout your love
    that makes me weak
    and knocks me off my feet...'

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweetly sung and written from the heart. Thank you.

    '...there's sumptin 'bout your love
    that makes me weak
    and knocks me off my feet...'

    ReplyDelete