Monday 3 August 2015

Level Four: Part Three. 'Diana' by Annabel Howarth

I have to sit down. There is a fallen down log, a little away from the others. I sit there to compose myself. This is hell. It was bad enough when Natasha said we had another one or two hours to go, but now it’s going to be who knows how long? I cannot believe she has just left us all here. 
It’s not just the threat of being shot, stung to death by bees or lost forever sending this feeling of panic through my body, but I cannot bear to be surrounded by these insufferable people for a second longer. 

It’s like I brought James with me. He and his tart are everywhere! I came away to try to take my mind away from thoughts of them and the agony of being separated from my babies. It really is like hell. My last days on earth being tormented by Mr God’s gift to women, everybody’s 'mate', and Charlie chump know-it-all.  But if that’s not enough we also have the mistress, in the guise of the simpering, manipulative Miss Jemma. No wonder Clive went off. Something I should have done years ago. Oh my God. I am rocking. I must stop. They will all think I have gone mad. Get a grip, Diana. 

“Are you okay Diana?” There is a hand on my shoulder.
It’s Pam. “You look really stressed. Would you like some water?”
I look up and I am suddenly aware that my brow is furrowed and my shoulders tensed. She smiles gently at me, and I can’t help but relax for a moment and smile back.
“Thank you. That’s kind,” I say. “I’m just struggling a bit.”
“With the walk?”
“Yes.... and a few other things.”
“Let me help you up.” Pam reaches her hand down and helps me to my feet. She looks across to the rest of the group and I follow her gaze. “Charlie wants us to go after Natasha.”
“What? No friggin’ way!” Pam looks surprised. I am a little shocked myself, by the force in my voice.

I stomp over to the group and jab my finger three times into Charlie’s right shoulder. As he turns round I yell at him, “Who the hell do you think you are?”
He looks shocked and, as recognition crosses his face, he stifles a laugh. Michael sniggers too.
I step back, as I too am startled when I see Charlie’s face. I was half expecting it to be James. Still, I recover myself a little and continue, even though the sick feeling I so well recognise is rising inside me from my stomach into my chest and all the blood is rushing up, flushing my cheeks. 
“Don’t you dare laugh at me. Natasha said to wait here, so we should do as she says.”
“I disagree. We can’t just wait here,” Charlie says.
“You presume to know better than her do you? You...”
“What if something serious has happened, and she can’t get back to us either?”
“What do you mean, serious?” says Jemma.
“All the more reason to stay,” I say.
“I think I have to agree with Diana,” says Julie. “What if we miss them and they come back and we’re not here. It’s the first rule of being found, to stay still.”
“What did you mean, serious?” says Jemma. She is looking quite sick now, like she might faint. I’m even beginning to feel a little sorry for her.
“I’m sure it will be nothing,” says Julie. “They’ll be back soon. It’s only been twenty minutes.”
“Yes, you’re probably right. They’re probably right, Charlie, mate,” Michael says.

Charlie stamps his foot, like a sulky child. “Well you can all stay here then, if you like, but I am going to head back. I can’t risk staying in this spot. I’m allergic to bee stings and I have forgotten my Epi Pen.” He strides determinedly in the direction that Natasha went. Michael, Jemma and Seamus immediately follow. I feel tears prick my eyes and my face is flushed again. 
“Do you even believe that he is allergic to bee stings?” I whisper.
“Heaven knows, love,” says Pam, “but we can’t stay behind. I think it’s best we all stick together.”

I can’t keep the tears back any longer.  I can hardly see through them as Pam and Julie guide me in the same direction as the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment