Monday 28 March 2016

Planet Yet by Andrew Shephard

When I was born I crighed.
I didn’t know how to spell.
When I went to school
the big bang was a twinkle in my teacher’s eye.
Eternity like the sun would last forever.
Electrons and other stuff we couldn’t see
didn’t exist except in pictures
and never in two places at once
especially not in far Australia.
A boson was a misspelled shipmate
not a particle darkly hidden.
Homo Saps was the apex of creation,
the cleverest creature on the planet yet.

When I went to work I sighed.
It made me feel unwell.
The humans were buried in computers
while tooled-up machines
corrected and consumed the Earth
by purpose and mistake.

Back home, I watch TV.
Damn! Eternity no longer means forever.
Do we lack the will to save all from destruction,
the dumbest creature on the planet yet?


No comments:

Post a Comment