Monday 16 May 2016

We meet again by Andrew Shephard

Unexpected technology, once despised
facilitates the congregation.
Same town, same house, same kitchen -
we lounge around like nothing ever happened.

New arrivals hug and kiss, wine is poured,
no smoking like we’d live forever.
Scratched records play too loud,
a freedom dance remembered by our limbs.

We still have fun despite the dead and missing.
Is she coming, once empress to the men?
The one I tried hard to bed, but never said.
Who knows where she lives, who she married?

Later, when the cups are smeared with dregs,
she breezes in, grey locks flowing, dog following.
She smiles the smile that wounded long ago -
I’m stabbed afresh by a ghost made flesh.

Dare I ask out loud?
Is there a chance you smile for me?
Did you once notice, in that fast and noisy time
how I in silence slowly pined?

The love that’s saved in bones, is it in yours
or was it only pain?
Big eyes look sad and dog tail wags 
as we exchange our metadata.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, Andrew! How well you have captured that feeling of unrequited love, and I felt that stab too when I read the line "I'm stabbed afresh by a ghost made flesh". The fear of those reunions. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annabel - I never know with a poem if it will mean something to anyone else. I'm glad it says something for you.

      Delete
  2. What a great poem. Lovely turns of phrase. It will stick in my memory.

    ReplyDelete