Monday 12 February 2018

03:18 by Dave Rigby


So you’re down here. You couldn’t sleep either.

Not after that bloody light.

What light?

Come on! It was you who woke me up telling me about it.

Hang on – that was a dream – there was this really bright beam shining down just outside the bedroom window. It was in my dream so you can’t have seen it.

It was still glaring when you woke me. Weird! But it was no dream. I’m making a cup of tea. Want one?

Please – and a slice of granary toast if you don’t mind, with jam. It was a dream to me. Can you switch the radio on while you’re over there? See if you can find some nice calming music.

Hey! One thing at a time. Where’s the jam? Oh you put it in the fridge again. Doesn’t need to live in there you know. That’s odd the radio doesn’t seem to be working. You know that thing where it comes on and then goes off almost straight away. Well now it’s decided not even to bother coming on.

We’ll have to get a new one. I’ve been saying for ages. Oh Chewy! You’ve decided to join us. Must have been the mention of food.

Well – he can’t have any. He’s enough of a barrel as it is. Any texts, tweets or emails to entertain us?

Wait a minute…well, just for a change there’s no reception down here. I’ll go up to the balcony. That usually does the trick.

What about your toast…it’ll get cold…. might as well speak to myself eh, Chewy. Here’s a bit for you, but don’t tell Mark. That’s odd, TV’s not working either. The whole place is packing up. At least the kettle and the toaster are providing a decent service between them, so we won’t starve... what are you doing up there? …Mark, come on. I’m not that bothered about who might have been trying to communicate with us … wait a minute …it’s that damned light again…I can see it from here…where’s it coming from? Chewy… go find Mark, go on, find him…

…now even the dog won’t come downstairs and just when I’d managed to get comfy...right I’m coming up…why do these stairs always seem steeper at night …Chewy stop your whimpering I’m on my way…what the...

+ + +

So your mobile wasn’t working, but the landline must have been because you managed to call us on it. Is that right sir? OK. And you couldn’t turn on the radio or the TV. I’m not sure these facts are of any relevance, but you tell me you think there might have been some kind of electro-magnetic force interfering with incoming signals. I have to say, sir, we don’t get a lot of that around here. But I’ll make a note of your comments. Now, could you describe again what happened when you went upstairs and out onto the balcony? Are you alright sir?

No I’m not. I’m desperately trying to work out what’s been going on. The light beam…the first time… it was in the bedroom… then I saw it again when I was downstairs. Mark was upstairs by then…went to try and get phone reception…it’s not good down here, better on the balcony…but he didn’t come down…so I went up there…well I sent the dog up first… but when I heard him whimpering… I thought I’d better investigate  ... no sign of Mark or that awful light…balcony door open… this card on the balcony table ... like a business card… ‘03:18’all that’s on it…well you know… you’ve seen it…and the card…it’s not paper or plastic…don’t know what it’s made of... 

And what time was it when you made your discovery?

That’s another weird thing... his phone was still on the table…03:20…and he’d been gone maybe two minutes. So the card was timed to the exact moment of his departure.

Departure? What do you mean by departure? You claim he was on the balcony. Where could he have departed to sir?

I…don’t really know... it sounds ridiculous... I can’t help thinking something really strange and awful has happened.

I would agree with you sir, but I don’t think it has anything to do with aliens from outer space. It’s much more likely to be something to do with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment