Monday 16 September 2019

Passport - Part Nine by Dave Rigby

More crashing sounds from upstairs.
    “Quick, let me undo that rope.”
    Despite his head wound, KT worked as quickly as he could to free Jack’s hands.
    “Now, can you use a gun?”
    “I’ve never handled any kind of firearm.”
    “Then take the knife. We’ll have more of a chance if we’re both armed.”
Jack didn’t like to say that she’d never used a knife outside of a kitchen. It felt weird holding it. She returned to her sitting position in the corner, put her hands behind her back and clutched the weapon.
    Sudden silence upstairs. She feared for the fate of the woman.
    A light flashed on in the cellar. Out-of-control footsteps hammered down stone steps. Rikard fell through the doorway onto the flagged floor, a wild scream of pain as his shoulder took the brunt of the fall and he crashed against a box of beer glasses. But he was up in a flash, pulling a sheaf of papers from his jacket pocket.
    “You’ll sign this page,” he growled, thrusting a pen towards her. “This way, our damn father’s inheritance will pass to me. I take it you’ll have been told all about the adoption sham.”
    So, Rikard knew as well. Of course! She’d been the last to find out.
    “I can’t sign with my hands tied,” she said trying to sound as pathetic as possible.
The sound of a bullet being fired in the confines of the cellar was ear-splitting. Suddenly there was blood everywhere. Rikard was wounded but still on his feet. Jack couldn’t fathom why KT didn’t fire again.
    “I won’t make the same mistake twice, old man,” Rikard shouted, hobbling across the room.
    Jack had a dreadful moment of realisation – only the knife could stop her brother now. The thin handle felt alien in her right hand. She rose silently. Rikard was hovering over KT, shouting wildly. She had to strike immediately…but where do you stab someone so it’ll do enough damage to stop them…without actually killing them. After all…he was her brother!
She couldn’t do it.
    But a beer stein was to hand.
    She brought it down on the side of his head and watched in horror as he slumped to the ground. Unconscious, but to her great relief, still breathing.
    “The damn gun jammed,” KT said, as he trussed Rikard, slowly but expertly. “That was amazing, you were so cool Jack. You saved your old dad’s life!”
    She was still shaking and almost failed to take in what he’d said.
    “What do you mean, KT? I don’t understand!”
    “I’m sorry. It was wrong of me to be so open. You see I’ve always been convinced that I’m your real father. Back in ’87, Martuska was seeing both James and myself for a while. She felt sure that James was your father – and Rikard’s. But from the day you were born, I could see me in your sweet young face and I’ve never given up on that conviction. Seeing you now as a grown woman, I’m more certain than ever.”
    Jack stared at KT. This was all too much to take in. But the longer she stared, the more she could see of herself in him. So many confused thoughts raced through her head.
    “If I ever tried to talk about this, Martuska would refuse to listen and she made me swear never to say anything to Rikard. But since James passed away and with me getting on, I can’t stay silent any longer. I hope you can forgive me.”
    Jack felt a sudden sense of peace. Sitting on the damp cellar floor, their arms around each other, she felt at home with this man in a way she’d never experienced with her father…or whatever he’d really been.
    “What do we do with my brother now?” she asked. “Despite how awful he’s been, I don’t really want to involve the police.”
    “Nor me,” KT said. “I need to speak to Stanley. He has this plan for my son which I’ve resisted up until now. But it can’t be avoided any longer. Stanley is back in the city. I’ll ring now and ask him to come and collect the three of us.”
    Once he’d made the call, they staggered upstairs to wait for the vehicle to arrive. It was a relief to find there was no sign of Rikard’s woman.
    “After all that’s happened, Jack, I’d quite understand if you wanted to leave immediately and return to England, but I’d dearly love for you to spend a day or two with us. And, I’m hoping Martuska will forgive me for being so open.”
    Jack decided it didn’t really matter whether he was her father or not. She wanted to stay and get to know him and her mother.
    “I would love to do that, KT, but I might be with you for more than a day or two.”


The End

4 comments:

  1. Great conclusion to a thrilling story! Well done everyone! I loved being a part of this collaboration. Excited for our next group collaboration now! I wonder what story that will be...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great end, Dave. I too have enjoyed being a part of this collaboration. Thanks to all who were part of this... And thanks to you, Dave for the originating idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A neat end to a captivating exploration into espionage.

    Thanks, Dave and everyone else involved!

    ReplyDelete