Monday 5 October 2020

Computers by Susie Field

I’m Colin the computer and I work in A and E

No one even knows my name and no one speaks to me.

I’m very stressed and overworked,  I rarely take a break

I sit in line and don’t complain - it’s hard for goodness sake.

They bang my keys and spin me round, they simply do not care

Sometimes they gather in little groups, just simply stand and stare.

I always seem to get the blame when things are not quite right

But I only store what they give to me - morning, noon and night.

An x-ray here, another scan and even a ruptured spleen

Dashing about here and there, switching from screen to screen.

Zooming in and zooming out,  please make up your mind

Something else they must have lost or simply cannot find.

 

Poor Carol’s in reception and she doesn’t like that crowd.

It’s busier than ever and they’re noisy, rude and loud.

Carl has done much better, he’s sitting with a nurse

A private little office, now that must be a first.

Not a major accident or another late night fight

I clearly heard the sirens and saw a bright blue light.

They all descend on Carol who’s always first in line

I think I’ll take a breather, whilst I’ve still got a little time.

Fat chance of that ‘cos they’re heading my way

Coffee cups balanced on a wobbly tray.                                     

Oh no she’s tripped and I’ve swallowed the lot

My insides are melting and it’s burning hot.

I splutter and spark with all my lights flashing

They cannot believe I’m actually crashing.

Their faces contort with absolute horror

Now I know they will miss me come tomorrow.

 

They’re wheeling in Carl to take my place

Oh the expression on his smug little face.

He cannot believe he’ll now have to work

All those duties so far he’s managed to shirk.

Darkness descends and I’m all alone

In a dusty old store room without a phone.

I can hear distant voices and lots of chatter

Everyone’s having a good old natter.

I wish I was back there in A and E

I know it was busy but it suited me.

3 comments:

  1. A lovely funny poem. What it must be to be overworked hospital machinery! Thanks, Susie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made me smile, and I feel sorry for the somputer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Susie, I love this so much, beautifully crafted and so very descriptive. I shall read it a few times. <3

    ReplyDelete