Sunday 31 January 2021

Gallery View by Judy Mitchell

It started during the first lockdown. Only one at first - Rachel the Skier. She was a regular on the slopes of Europe each winter with her goggle-eyed tan and her toned and shapely quads and glutes. Her choice of snowscape was the Hahnenkamm downhill race under a brilliant cobalt sky. I breathed in and felt the bitingly crisp, pure alpine air and thought for a moment I could hear the start-house beeps and the cacophony of cow bells and claxons of spectators behind her and the smell of the gluhwein being sipped slowly as part of a buzzing après ski.

For the rest of us it was the usual backcloths of our writing rooms, the dirty mugs in the sink, the ironing board, full bookcases and the art adorning our walls: the garden at Giverny, the ubiquitous Mediterranean street scene, Vetriano’s dancing couple.        

Perhaps it was the inspiration of the speaker that evening for a zoom masterclass on Setting and Place but by the following meeting, Matthew, the librarian, had placed himself in the magnificent library at Chatsworth with its collection of thirty thousand volumes and squashy settees and table lamps and wall lights throwing dreamy shadows on to an exquisite ceiling of gilded stucco.  There was the distant ting-tang of ormolu clocks as I reclined against the deep cushions and paused to ponder if I should call the butler for more tea.    

In contrast, Mary seemed almost embarrassed to appear in front of her husband’s choice of surroundings and I heard her quiet apology about his hobby and the difficulty she had to persuade him to pick a scene with some literary connection. Did I imagine it or could I feel some grit in my eye as I stared at her tiny shoulders hunched under the clock at Carnforth station as the Princess Royal – class 4-6-2s, screamed past, its firebox red and hot in the dark, smoky, northern light?     

For some, it seemed that their sense of place had been transformed or was it merely an excuse to not tidy up to join the zoom meetings? Not surprisingly, three who regularly wrote horror and other dystopian fiction did not fail to disappoint with hauntingly real images of the post-apocalyptic worlds they inhabited.   

By the second lockdown more had placed themselves against international, inter-galactical and other-worldly virtual backgrounds while the rest of us, bereft of the technical skills needed to create such scenes, continued to worry about appearing on screens that would betray our humdrum surroundings, our poor housekeeping, the takeaway cartons strewn against empty cans and other detritus of a writer’s existence. Our dogs and cats and kids continued to pick the wrong moment to lurch at us with their bad behaviour, slobbering and complaining, all embarrassingly visible to our fellow authors.

At our first meeting of 2021, we came together for a masterclass on Describing Emotion. Before the evening’s speaker was introduced, our forty-eight eyes were simultaneously drawn to the retreating image of a man, without clothes, slipping out of the bedroom of one our members in the gallery view. Apparently unfazed by this mistimed exit, Brenda Bickerstaff coolly tilted the screen away from the door behind her. My first thought was of Spike, Hugh Grant’s outrageous housemate in Notting Hill. Did I hear his famous “Nice firm buttocks” and “Well-chosen briefs” in that lilting Welsh accent as this skinny grey figure flitted across our screens? There was a silence and then an indecipherable rush of voices from the unmuted attendees as we all tried to pretend we hadn’t seen.

It was not Spike. It was not Notting Hill but a semi on a street at Slaithwaite and I recognised that escaping form. I knew him! It was not Brenda’s husband but my neighbour from across the road at number 43 - Darren Smith, married with wife and two children, one in the same class as Thomas, my youngest. Later, as I clicked the Leave Meeting button, I was already starting to stand up and move towards my front window. I was peering furtively around the curtain when, across the road, I saw his car pull on to their drive and saw him go in through his front door.

6 comments:

  1. A fabulous piece, Judy. Richly descriptive and with an unexpected ending. Beats buying books by the yard to impress Zoom viewers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this, Judy! I shall have to be careful just what I choose as a background now, won't I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've yet to see bare buttocks appear on any of my Zoom calls but otherwise I can relate to the rest of this cheekily clever story. Well done, Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that is brilliant! Can you imagine if he knew you'd seen him, are you tempted to let on? A great piece that certainly captures the times! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to know what happens next - do tell!!

    ReplyDelete