Monday 19 April 2021

Getting Older by Susie Field


 

It’s not much fun getting older.

I’m sure you must agree.

Each task seems so much harder.

It would help if I could see.

 

I really need new glasses,

something funky and up to date.

But it’s time now for my exercise,

don’t want to leave it too late.

 

Aching legs and stiff knee joints,

I’d love to walk much faster.

I try my best to gather speed,

don’t want to end up in plaster.

 

The ground today is slippery,

following so much rain.

It’s hard work keeping going,

but they say no pain, no gain.

 

I think there’s a storm coming over,

I can hear a distant rumble.

I suddenly try and increase my speed,

and that’s when I take a tumble.

 

With a mighty crash down I go,

head long into thick black mud.

I’m flat on my back, legs in the air,

I’d get up if only I could.

 

It seems like forever before I can move,

and the rain’s coming down quite fast.

A few hours later I’m stuck in my chair,

my left ankle encased in a cast.

 

I’m still in shock and quite annoyed ‘cos

I wish I’d stayed at home.

I wasn’t as prepared as I should have

been, thank goodness I had my phone.

 

I stare at the crutches I keep close by,

I’ll get used to them in time.

I know what I need to cheer myself up,

a very large cool glass of wine.

4 comments:

  1. Love this, Susie, it's so true once you reach the age of indiscretion! I wasn't allowed crutches when I broke my ankle - I wasn't trusted with them and had to use a Zimmer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A funny, honest poem about later-life misadventure. Hope you weren't too sore afterwards. Thank you, Susie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed this funny poem Susie, but hope you are now recovering well! Tc xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Observant, funny. Close to home!

    ReplyDelete