Codewords by Dave Rigby

 


Codewords.

You might have seen these puzzles in the newspaper.

You might be a fan.

A crossword grid … but no clues.

All the white squares are numbered.

Each of the numbers, 1 to 26, stands for one of the letters in the alphabet.

Your task is to discover each letter,

And complete each word on the grid.

 

I’m sitting in my favourite seat, slipper-boots on, pen poised,

Night Tracks on the radio,

Mostly music I’ve never heard before, nothing too frantic or noisy.

A peeled and sliced apple ready to eat.

First step. The setter provides two letters to start you off.

Tonight, it’s I and H and there are a few of each.

I fill these letters in on the grid, double-checking I haven’t missed any.

 

Then the scrutiny begins. Where are the doubles? Where might the E’s be?

There’s usually a lot of them. (But then there might also be a lot of S’s!)

I search the grid for a frequently occurring number,

And spot an eight-letter word with the second, fourth and sixth spaces all numbered 15.

And the third space is an H.

From the positioning, I’m pretty certain that 15 is a vowel.

As there are some double 15’s elsewhere in the grid, the vowel is likely to be either E or O.

(Not many words with double A’s or double U’s and I’ve already been given the I.)

I try out my E theory, writing down different combinations, before the word suddenly comes to me.

‘Vehement’!

Then I’m on to another double – 7 – which I reckon is also a vowel.

But O doesn’t fit.

A while later, I realise it’s one of the few words containing a double U.

‘Vacuum’!

 

I make slow progress, staring at empty spaces and wondering what might fit in where.

I like struggling with a codeword, having little to go on, being on the verge of getting nowhere,

Until there’s a breakthrough! (Though sometimes, there isn’t!)

But this time, the gaps gradually disappear.

Forty-five minutes and I’m done.

 

Codeword complete,

And apple slices finished,

I say goodbye to Night Tracks.

It’s time for bed.

Comments

  1. Great description of codewords, Dave. I love them.
    xx Vivien

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recognise the paths you take. That feeling when you have completed it is good and the writing echoes my own frustrating deliberations. Nice one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment