Monday 30 June 2014

Poem Recreation

This poem is part of a task I did for creative writing class.  We had to take an existing poem and ‘recreate’ it, by thinking about the essence of the original but then making something new.  The original poem I chose is ‘Daisy’ by Alice Oswald, from her collection Weeds and Wild Flowers (2009):




Daisy

I’m chosen, picked,
My dirty feet no longer
Snugly in mud.
Higher than ever,
I feel the cold air
Batter my lashes.
You set me down on
The palm of your hand,
Warm as a nudging worm,
And push your thumbnail in.
Our limbs are looped.
You lift us up to have a look.
Now I hang in mid-air, held,
To serve your summer
With my eye shut tight.


by Inez Cook

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic Inez! It brings back long lost memories of making daisy chains on the school field in Summer! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, very delicate and precise. I particularly like the 'warm as a nudging worm' line.

    ReplyDelete