Monday 15 June 2015

Rewriting a Sonnet by Inez Cook

Here is an untitled poem I wrote in 2012.  It was written in sonnet form for a creative writing class.  



My son carefully reaches for his bricks
knocking yesterday’s creation to the floor.
Then stops mid-crawl with wide eyes and inspects
a tiny speck of dirt beside the door.

Outside he sits quite still so he can stare
at tree-shapes and the wobbling washing line
with pegged white sheets that billow in the air.
Then he lifts up his arms because he can.

I learn from him that stillness between action
is what we need to grow.  He’s offering
a gift; each moment is an invitation
to see how ordinary things can sing.

Remembering his eyes I see it now:
Those sheets were ship’s white sails, the lawn its bow.



At the time I was focussed on it as a technical exercise and managed to keep to a strict rhyme scheme and metre.  Rereading it recently I thought it worked as a technical exercise but that the word choices were sometimes imprecise and some lines were clunky.  So I rewrote it and gave it a title.



Shared Attention


My son crawls past his painted wooden bricks,
Knocks yesterday’s creation to the floor,
Then stoops his head with wide eyes and inspects
A tiny speck of dirt beside the door.

Now in the garden, motionless, we stare
At tree-shapes and the bobbing washing line.
His eyes dart up at two crows’ soundless flight
As pegged sheets swell and shudder in the air.

I learn from him that stillness between action
Is what we need to grow; and noticing
The world together is an invitation
To see how ordinary things can sing.

Remembering that day I see it now:
Those sheets were ship’s white sails, the lawn its bow.



Rewriting it, still within the sonnet conventions, felt like a really tricky jigsaw puzzle.  I knew how much space I had to express each idea, but some words had to be more specific and certain sentence structures needed to change.  Stanza 2 took the most work. I took out the last line, inserted a new image about the 'soundless crows' which I had found in my original notes for the poem, and swapped the lines which slightly altered the rhyme scheme.  I also wanted the lines in stanza 3 to run more smoothly and removed the words 'gift' and 'offering' which I felt were a bit too sentimental.  I am happy with the result, but who knows, maybe in three years I'll feel the need to do a third rewrite!


4 comments:

  1. I love this poem, in both its forms. New eyes make the world afresh. Thanks, too, for sharing how you developed the sonnet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely! Your insight and outsight always amaze me! How lucky I was to watch you grow like this little one. thanks Hin x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely! Your insight and outsight always amaze me! How lucky I was to watch you grow like this little one. thanks Hin x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this poem. I gained from both versions. I like the changes you made – especially the inclusion of birds - imagination personified, perhaps. More than a flight and then brought gently down to earth. Great!

    ReplyDelete