Monday 29 June 2015

The Sigh of the Beholder by Andrew Shephard

 (Sonnet)
 
I can’t wear that hat, it makes my face fat
Baring the shoulder makes me look older
©  | Dreamstime Stock Photos
Why do you want me to dress up bolder?
Mutton dressed lamb is not where I’m at.

Try it on, lover; don’t think of the price,
Add scarf or coat if weather is colder
You look quite the part (that’s what I told her)
I swear on my life, it makes you look nice.

But fabric’s flimsy, my waist is thicker…
Then take all off, right down to the knicker
I’ll admire your fine body without a snigger
All wrinkles smoothed by candle’s flicker.
Close your eyes gently ‘fore you grow older
And feel my soft sigh on your bare shoulder.

3 comments:

  1. I like this. Gradual transition from everyday common worries to a very personal reassuring conclusion– especially the smoothed part and wisdom of eyes closed to let imagination be an antidote to ageing – being in the here and now. Yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the tenderness of this poem. Women, take heart. Men, take note.

      Delete
  2. What a great modern take on the love poem. It brought to mind 'To His Coy Mistress', but your poem celebrates ageing rather than youth. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete