Monday 21 November 2016

Hebrides by Clair Wright

She was only a girl when they left. My grandmother
Pointed on the map, to the faintest dot in the square of blue
And it seemed to me to be made of the sea itself.
So alone,
So far from its orientating neighbour it could be anywhere
Or nowhere.
A speck outside the sheltering embrace of the Hebrides
Flung into the fierce Atlantic,
It is a place I have never seen, never touched,
Yet I felt the bite of the salt and the spray in my lungs.
She told me of the infinite sky and the scoured land
And I felt the spring of heather and of kelp under my feet
And heard the clamour of gannets.
She told me of the squat houses crouched along the shore
Now roofless,
Home to wild-eyed sheep,
Moss reclaiming the stones in a smothering shroud.
She told me how they left their doors unlocked, and a gift -
A handful of oats
For their strange and zealous gods
Who were as much of the wind and waves as of
The Book
Laid open at Exodus,
And I wonder
If their flight led to a promised land
Or if they all, like my grandmother, dreamt
Of their far off home, adrift still,
Where the sky sinks weeping
Into the sea.


No comments:

Post a Comment