Monday 11 June 2018

Collier's Creek: 5 - Secret Weapons by Vivien Teasdale




Aunt Margaret left me, with a long lingering look of regret. I didn’t know whether to be sad or relieved. Though my thoughts were racing, wondering just what was happening outside, I must have dozed off for a while because when I opened my eyes again, all was quiet. Carefully I sat up and got out of bed. My head seemed ok so I got dressed and headed for the door.

The farmhouse was in darkness, as were the bits of the ranch I could see outside. No-one was around in the yard and even the stable block was silent as I crept in. The horses shuffled and snorted, wondering who was disturbing them, but the brown pony I led out made no demur as I saddled him and set off in the direction of town.
Half an hour later I was flat on my back, staring at the stars. I’d not seen anything to be scared of but the pony had spooked at a lonesome bush, chucked me off and made his escape back to his stable. Now I was out in the middle of nowhere, with another headache and a black wolf roaming about the place. That is, I suddenly remembered, unless he was trapped in the mine. I needed to get to town and warn everyone.
It was when I’d been walking a while that I realised I’d wandered off the path and was now truly lost. Even worse, as I walked, I began to get the feeling that I was being followed. Just every now and again I heard an echo of my footsteps, a scrape on the rough ground that I’d not made. I looked round but there was nothing; no movement, no noise, but it was too dark to be sure. I walked on, edgy now and unsteady on my feet, tripping over my own boots in fear of what might be behind. Could I outrun even a cayote let alone a wolf looking for its next meal?

I struggled on until, faintly, I heard hooves, galloping towards me. I turned too quickly, lost my footing and slithered down a small gully. Even as I came to a stop, I felt strong arms wrapping themselves around me and a hand over my mouth.
 
‘Quiet, mister, or I’ll break your neck.’
 
Naturally, I kept both quiet and still, listening to the slow breathing in one ear and the beating hooves as they came closer, then faded into the distance.
I was released as my captor stepped back.
‘What in tarnation you doin’ out here this time o’ night?’
‘I could ask you the same.’ In the slight moonlight I could just make out the shape of a woman, her black skin blending with the night. She was easily as tall as me and dressed in the buckskins and shaggy jacket of a hunter. ‘I’m trying to get to town, what about you?’
‘You’re that fella, lookin’ fer Lennox, ain’t yer? Really want to find him, then keep away from town. Even he’s learnt that much.’
‘You know where he is? Can you take me there? Is he ...’
‘Whoa, fella. Why should ah help you? Got my own problems, ain’t none o’ yourn.’ She stopped and looked at me, considering something, before she went on. ‘Well, maybe. Thought you was in cahoots with that Hannah till she bashed you over the head.’
‘How did you know that? In cahoots with her doing what? I’m just here to find Lennox.’
‘Hm, reckon ah believe you too. If Hannah thought you was a real threat you’d be dead, like Dale is now.’
‘Dale? The drunkard? But he was at the Stud ...’
She nodded. ‘Yep, and that’s where he’s buried. Billy won’t stop at nuthin’, he’s too much ridin’ n getting them guns through.’
‘Look,’ I said, getting a bit exasperated. ‘I’ve no idea what you’re on about. My job is just to find Lennox and let his parents know he’s ok. Can you take me to him or not?’
She smiled, her teeth white in the darkness. ‘Sure can, mister. Problem is, he’s in the mine, same as a lot o’ folks round here. Thought he was just goin’ to meet a friend and got mixed up in Billy’s little sideline.’
‘I heard Dale mention the mine, that there’s dynamite down there and a wolf.’
‘Hm, there’s dynamite, for sure, it’s a mine. There’s also the guns Billy’s hidin’ afore he gets them over the border into Mexico. And now they’ve got your friend Lennox down there. And my man, too. That’s why we need to work together. Got to get them out and warn the miners that Billy’s goin’ to blow that mine when he’s finished this last run of guns.’
I had the feeling I was getting into something I would regret. After all, no-one since I’d come out West had given me any reason to believe them. Why should I trust this woman? But then my mind got sidetracked with what she’d said.
‘And the wolf? Why is everyone so bothered about that animal? Surely they could just shoot it, like the cayotes or the bears?’
She gave me a sidelong look, then set off along the gully. ‘You coming or not, fella?’ she asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment