Monday 25 June 2018

Collier's Creek: 7 - Dust and Desertion by Clair Wright


We ran, bent at the waist, through the dark tunnels, with the wolf’s howls behind us. The cool dawn air had barely reached my nostrils when another sound – a hot, rushing roar  - came thundering behind us. I threw myself out of the mouth of the mine and rolled behind a rock, arms wrapped over my head, as all hell burst open around me.  Fire and dust and rock rained down. I heard yells and curses amidst the crash of rock on rock, but I daren’t lift my head to see if the others had escaped. Dust filled my eyes and ears and mouth, and I choked and retched.

At last it subsided. I wiped my eyes on the filthy sleeve of my jacket and shook the dust from my hat. In the dim dawn light, I could make out the grey shapes of others, getting to their feet, looking around for their companions.

“Here!” someone thrust a canteen into my hand. I looked up to see the woman standing over me still carrying her pack. A man with the same dark skin stood beside her, rubbing welts on his wrists.

“Much obliged,” I said, taking a mouthful. I spat into the dust.

“We never got around to introducing ourselves,” I said, holding out my hand as I handed back the canteen. “My name’s…”

She held up her palm to stop me. “Ah know all I need to know about you, Mister- Out-o’-Towner,” she said, “and I reckon the less you know of us the better, if you’ll forgive me.”
Her man stepped forward. “That’s right. You’ll want to be moving along before Billy Clements turns up.”

“Happy to,” I said, and I meant it. I had had my fill of this place.  “But I need to find James Lennox first.”

“Long gone. He’s of my way of thinking.” He pointed behind me.

I turned around, and sure enough we were alone. The other men had melted into the dusty land.

“Can you at least tell me about the wolf? What was that thing?” Those blazing red eyes were etched on my brain and I felt strange, un-nerving echoes of that uncontrollable rage which had taken me over. I shivered.

The man glanced at his wife. She nodded. “All I’ll say is Hannah’ll do more that knock you over the head next time, now you’ve seen that beast. You’d best get back to the city, where you belong.” She looked around, as if expecting Hannah to show up any moment. “She don’t like folks telling tales, gets her all jumpy. Look what happened to Dale.  Auntie Margaret’s already got her looking for you, remember?”

I dimly recalled the hooves passing as I crouched in the gully, a stranger’s hand clamped to my mouth.

“Margaret? Does she know about Billy’s little operation?”

She shook her head. “I’m all done with talking to you, and you’ll be done with your asking, if you want to stay alive. We’ll be off now.”

And with that, they left me, striding out into the scrubby land and disappearing into the heat haze.

I sat in a patch of shade under a rock, and considered my options. I could try to walk back to town, but I wasn’t sure of the route and I felt weak and thirsty. I remembered those circling vultures when we had found Hank. I didn’t fancy being their next meal.  I could head for Aunty Margaret’s place. Her silk sheets were certainly very appealing, but I wasn’t sure of what reception I would get, if she had really sent Hannah out looking for me the night before.

I climbed onto the rock and looked out over the horizon. Something caught by eye. A cloud of dust, a good distance away but heading in my direction. I strained my eyes against the sun. As it drew closer I made out the shape of a wagon, the horse galloping hell for leather straight towards me. I jumped down and crouched behind the rock, waiting for it to get close enough to make out who was driving.

Covered in dust and sweat, her blond curls stuck to her forehead, Bonnie leapt down in a flurry of skirts and petticoats. “They’re sayin’ there was an explosion at the mine! Where’s James? Is he alright?”

No comments:

Post a Comment