Monday 9 March 2020

The Monster by Eve Bedford (aged 9 and 3/4)

It hides inside your hat,
It hides inside your shed,
And when you go to sleep
It goes inside your head.

It has 10,000 eyes,
It has 10,000 legs,
And when it gets up close to you
It smells like rotting eggs.

Sometimes its eyes are green,
Sometimes they are not,
But always when they are
It looks like boogie snot.

It hates slippery floors,
It hates the sight of cars,
And when it always cries at night
It's because it hates the stars.

It steals paper bags,
It steals all the clocks,
And when it comes into a room
It never ever knocks.

It hides inside your hat,
It hides inside your shed,
And when you go to sleep
It goes inside your head.



It was half-term recently and Eve (my granddaughter) brought this poem along to Writers' Lunch.

5 comments:

  1. Eve, that is absolutely fabulous. I love the rhythm of it, I love the ideas and I love the way it rhymes. You are an excellent poet, rather like your grandad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good! The drawing is fantastic too! Well done, Eve! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this poem aloud two weeks ago and still enjoy it's innocent profundity. Your granddaughter is wise beyond her years, Andrew. My years too for that matter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That made me laugh, so funny and well written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliantly written Eve and the illustration is the cream on that poem’s cake - you must be 30 or so but I can’t think your grandad is that old!

    ReplyDelete