Bye, My Darling by Karen Kaye
Trigger Warning: Death & Grief
I cared for you darling till life ran out.
I held you, your last breath was in my arms.
I asked you to come back to me, not to leave.
Though all in vain, you were taken from me.
You slipped away without saying a word
Quietly and in the moment, unexpectedly.
We could not have known it was the day
The angels would come and steal you away.
Without warning or drama, just peace and calm
I placed your head into my arms.
It was already too late to save you,
Just to hold you was all I could do.
As tears overwhelmed, my eyes were full,
Knowing I'd lost you forever and this is all.
Your eyes will open no more to see me again.
All we had and shared had come to an end.
A final goodbye, the end of life.
I walk on alone but on which path?
Becoming lost in a world, sinking deep,
While all I have left are the memories I keep.
Precious and treasured within my heart,
Safely keeping for the rest of time.
A wandering soul drowning in tears,
Flooding into my world, fuelling my fears.
My lover, my friend, my protector and guide.
So much snatched from my fullness of life.
Morning and night, I say to a photograph
I miss you, do anything to have you back.
but death is final and you exist no more,
I walk alone through an open door,
One step forward, two steps back,
Bemused, not knowing I'm on the right track.
Time slips by, as I adjust my life.
Tea for one and no reason to smile.
Silently now, in what was once our home,
Just somewhere to dwell now and be alone.
The depth of my world fallen right through,
Everything lost. It was all in you.
Pick up the pieces. Oh, where to begin?
How do I even start to carry on living?
NO AI TRAINING, DATA MINING, AI SCRAPING OR ANY OTHER AI USE
Huddersfield Authors’ Circle provides this website for the individual, private and non-
commercial use of our members.
Without limiting our exclusive rights under copyright, any use of this site or its content to
“train” generative artificial intelligence (AI) technologies, large language models (LLMs), or
other machine learning systems is expressly prohibited. All rights reserved.
Data Mining and AI Scraping: You are strictly prohibited from using any automated
systems, software, or bots (including, without limitation, AI scrapers, web crawlers, or
spiders) to extract, scrape, or mine data, content, or images from this website for the
purpose of training machine learning or AI models, or for commercial content generation.
By using this website, you agree to these terms.
"Empty Bed" by Sabina Panayotova is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0.

Comments
Post a Comment