Monday 9 December 2019

Snapshot by Dave Rigby

With the girlfriend gone, I can’t afford this place, so it’s downsizing time.
   Going through box after box in the attic, I come across my old camera. There’s an unfinished film inside. With the camera pensioned off when I got my first smart phone, the film must be all of ten years old.
   In town the next day I find a feller down in the arcade who still does developing. The age of the film shouldn’t be a problem. But it turns out the price tag includes having to listen to an endless story about his dog.
   When I collect the prints the following day, I’m suddenly quite excited. No idea what they’ll show. I escape the storyteller and grab a coffee. Most of the snaps are either under or over-exposed. There’s one or two where I’ve tried and failed to be arty. But the final one stuns me.
   I’ve no memory of it being taken. Perhaps the barman took the shot.
   Four of us, arms over shoulders, like first row forwards, grinning like idiots. Me and my old school pal Jonno and two Aussie’s we’d just met in a club.
   A down-at-heel place, above one or other of the rivers, on the edge of the old town. I can still hear the deafening music, taste the cheap, greasy pizza and feel the stifling heat – and my thumping head. We’d all had more than a few.
   A summer night, warm as hell, t-shirts, shorts and flip-flops. We walked along the bank to where the two rivers joined. Right at the end of the spit, there was a grassy patch and two ancient tram rails leading nowhere, apart from into the river.
   We lay on our backs star-gazing. Jonno and Luc fell asleep. Their snoring set me and Mads off giggling. When she kissed me – well I couldn’t believe it.
   The next moment, she was up and away, standing on the edge of the water, waking Luc with a shout and telling him to follow her. They waded out between the rails.
   Then in a flash they disappeared.
   I thought they’d resurface further downstream, laughing their heads off. But they didn’t.
Jonno was still out of it. Besides he couldn’t swim, so it was all down to me.
   The water wasn’t as cold as I’d feared, but just as murky as I’d imagined. Submerged, I had to feel around for any sign of them. But there was only water and mud – and those rails, sloping away.
   Coming up for air, I called to Jonno. Had he seen anything? No reply.
   My search continued, but as exhaustion set in, it dawned on me that I had to save myself.     With no chance of getting back to the spit, against the current, my only option was to drift further downstream and hope.
   A few metres to the left and the boat would have hit me. But I was in luck. It saved me. Breathless, I managed a few garbled sentences and listened as they put out a search and rescue message. The incoming was an incomprehensible squawk.
   No trace was found of Luc and Mads.
   Jonno refused to believe they’d perished. Hard to understand, but he felt sort of responsible for their disappearance, the way he’d been out of it that night. Over the years he’s made enquiries, but with so little to go on – no surnames, no addresses and only our own hazy descriptions – he’s got nowhere.
   But now we have a snapshot. They’ll have changed after all this time, but still, there’s a chance someone will recognise them.
   I scan and email the pic to Jonno. Message back – he’ll be on to it straight away. ‘Mr Social Media’, him – a foreign language to me.
   Nothing, until two months later, an email from ‘Melbourne Mads’.  
   How did you get that photo?
   I reply, explaining about the long-undeveloped film, asking what had happened after she and Luc disappeared into the darkness of the river, telling her of my rescue attempt.
   She phones me.
   The two of them had just drifted off downstream, too high to be worried, never a thought that I’d try and follow them. I’d seemed far too sensible for that. And where is Luc now, I ask. She doesn’t know. They’d drifted apart. And that kiss. Does she remember. Sure, she does!     How about a repeat performance, she asks?
   That would be great, I tell her, but it would take a while to save up the air fare to Oz.
   No need, she says.
   She’s in London and has been for nearly ten years.

4 comments:

  1. Great combination of good story and believable characters. I really liked this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This read like a real-life experience. I wonder if it was?
    Nevertheless a great insight into the odd experiences one accumulates whilst travelling. Thanks, Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just right brought a tear to my eye, a reawakened memory from days long gone

    ReplyDelete
  4. That had me gripped, i even leaned into the screen as though that would make a difference. I did not sense that they had died though. What a nice ending.

    ReplyDelete