Friday 10 April 2020

Two Poems by Andrew Shephard

Dream

My bags are in that room and you are too.
This corridor’s familiar, doors similar,
but something’s not quite right.
I turn left, climb stairs, turn right then right again,
still room, bags, you
are out of sight this roving
raving, hunting, night that feels like day
until I wake.
When I do, perhaps,
cloud curtains block the morning light.
I’m cold, exhausted from
a sheet-soaked night of searching
for room, bags, you
so close, I feel, but out of sight.
You must be found. You must!
Patiently then nervily then frantically I search.
I know the room is there, there was no sleight.
How come the building’s shifted style
and my room is out of sight?

I dream I wake. With heavy lids
I see a shape, it might be you, or someone like,
a misty silhouette in black and white
until another turn or strife
keeps you and everything that matters
to me just out of sight.
I’m stuck looking for a room that’s mine
a love that’s mine, a bag that’s mine,
scrabbling through a long twilight
for out-of-sight be-longings
up or down one flight.
All dreams end. I won’t give up, 
I'll toss and turn again tomorrow night.



Resolute

A blackbird sings in half-light
enticing the sun to rise sooner.
A blue tit taps a nest box entrance
conjuring a mate to appear.
A pigeon pair pose and coo on a roof
in the seconds between showers.
All are certain
summer is no dream.

3 comments:

  1. Two very different but equally fabulous, pieces. I particularly like the second one. Very timely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely poetic chiaroscuro: a verse of darkness before the verse of dawn. Thanks, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the words in the first poem move it fast illustrating the aggitation. In the second they are slower, calmer. I enjoyed both poems.
    Jacky

    ReplyDelete