Friday 12 June 2020

A Silly Verse Trilogy by Owen Townend




SUPERMARKET GREETERS (Short Rhyming Poem)

About five metres
from supermarket greeters
Miss Rosie gave birth on the shop room floor.

Mr Mark Peters
of those supermarket greeters
Welcomed her baby through automatic doors.

CLAIRE E HUGHES (Clerihew)


Claire E Hughes
truly did not choose
to be named after a poetic form. 
Social disgrace in a perfect storm. 

Claire E Hughes
has never perused
comic verse of any style or kind. 
She just wants to leave all that behind.

Claire E Hughes
left me battered and bruised
when I penned this three-stanza warning.
That woman is not for scorning... 


HUMMING THE CHORUSES (Free Verse)

Am I
the only one
who hums?

Am I the only one who hums
conundrums like:

How the A-Team theme
can be heard and seen
from Both Sides Now?

How You Are My Sunshine, 
My Only Sunshine
during The Great Escape?

How There Are 
Nine Million Bicycles In Beijing when 
you Play That Funky Music, White Boy?

Am I the only one 
who makes sums from hums, 
dear chums?

Ho hum...

11 comments:

  1. Very quirky poems, Owen! They sounds good when read out loud. You should do an open mic night when they're back on, or maybe a virtual one in the meantime?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo! I'm glad these poems have a pleasant sound. I might try and embed a performance video later.

      Delete
  2. Whimsical and quirky. Bite sized reading. Thank you Owen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a winner for a performance poetry night, Owen, they certainly made me smile. Cheers, Vivien

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like these, perfect for a public performance :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inventive and funny. A unique style is a valuable and rare asset.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is very clever ...humming the chorus... made me smile..quite inventive :-)

    ReplyDelete