Monday 22 June 2020

COVID 19 - When Change is Inevitable by Yvonne Witter

How do we cope with change when the unexpected Covid 19 is all about change? We had to alter our buying habits and grocery items. Public entertainment disappeared overnight, and the patterns of our social life and work routines for many were severely altered. Marginalised workers, overnight became essential workers and as such recognised if not in pay and conditions, at least in the hearts and minds of the populous in countries where essential services and those that deliver them became the focus of acknowledgment, applause, conversation, and concern.

But what if you’re not an essential worker, what then, eh? Some people’s jobs are secure, such as teachers, postal workers, public transport workers, bank staff, and so on. But that leaves many with a precarious future, because having service industries closed down during the coronavirus pandemic, it’s questionable whether some restaurants and shops will re-open.

So how do we cope in the midst of a crisis like this? Do we pivot to the left, or do we pivot to the right? and what is left and what is right in this circumstance? I heard someone say recently that human beings are highly adaptable, and people will find a way out of this. I believe that is true but in order to find a way they have to first learn to be still. The government guideline to stay in your house and not leave unless you have an essential journey is an opportunity for stillness, and by stillness, I mean taking the opportunity for deep reflection, on where we are now and where we want to be, and how might we get there. Too many people are sitting like, rabbits caught in the headlights waiting to ‘go back to normal’. 
Post-Covid planning is what I mean here. I am not entirely sure that this period of turbulence is a time to necessarily learn a new skill or build a new business or do something previously unimaginable. However, if you are inclined to, that is a good thing, but I do not believe that people should feel pressurised amidst all the emotional turmoil that they are already going through. I do not think anyone should feel pressurised to 'achieve' just for the sake of it.

I do hope though that we can take the time for reflection, for looking at what we’ve achieved, acknowledging our achievements, remembering and reminding ourselves of the aspirations we had for our business, and looking at how possibly latent dreams could now be reconsidered. Were you really enjoying what you were doing pre the pandemic or had your work become a drudge? Be honest now, were you jumping out of bed in the mornings feeling a bounce in your step and excited to get the job done or were you dragging yourself into work buoyed up by the designer coffee?

So how about considering changes to your current service provision if you are self-employed, in order to remain relevant. You know so that people do not forget about you. One woman I know who makes novelty cakes for parties, she got in touch to say that she was doing a box of cakes that would be delivered to my door.  I placed an order even though I am swiftly growing a third chin. I did that because I wanted to support her business.  I paid for them online three days before they arrived and the box of six comfort treats was delivered on Friday as promised in time for afternoon tea, and there were some delicious treats in that box, a slab of carrot cake, millionaire shortbread,  coconut and jam cupcake and much more, I was spoilt for choice.

My friend who runs a training business, has taken her courses online, some fitness instructors doing Zumba classes are using YouTube and various other online media to keep their classes growing. The question everyone has to ask themselves is how willing they are to adapt, and what does adaptation mean to them and their business, or life in general.


7 comments:

  1. A strongly-worded call to thought if not necessarily action. Thanks for this, Yvonne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Owen, I have spent many hours trying to be able to comment. But I had to change the settings in google privacy where I had blocked third party cookies grrrrrrrrr. Thank you for your kind words, is sounding too strong? :-) It is a bit stern I thought. LOL

      Delete
    2. Hi Yvonne. Not to worry about Google silliness. I didn't find this piece stern, more steady and resolute.

      Delete
  2. A very thoughtful piece, which is superbly timed as we begin to emerge from lockdown. How many of us, after the first shock of lockdown, vowed to do some things differently and yet, now things are easing, we are eager to cast off those vows. I think your piece deserves a wider audience, Yvonne. I don't know if you have considered publishing it elsewhere as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Charlotte Thank you. I will think about publishing elsewhere. Thanks for the vote of confidence. Y x

      Delete
  3. A most interesting reflection on the coronavirus pandemic. For me, this has very much been a time for reflection - the idle sort where my actions are in tune with the circumstances of the moment. Striving is for another time.

    ReplyDelete